Thursday, May 8, 2008

Haw Par Villa

As I'm writing this blog, I'm just glad & feel relax that I have finally finish all the markings, students' remarks & examination analysis. However, this is not the end of the story... There will be 2 sessions (I 'm teaching 2 modules this semester) of scripts checking with my 'cutie pies' & hopefully I haven't done much mistake.

Last Sunday, hubby & I decided to take a break from our hectic schedule as we were both working at home on Labour Day. I came across a tv show that brought back my memories when I first visited Singapore in my primary school day...

Haw Par Villa, formerly called Tiger Balm Gardens, was originally constructed in 1937 by "Tiger Balm King" Aw Boon Haw as a grand residence for his younger brother, Aw Boon Par, who helped create their fortune with the anagesic balm. In English, Haw Par Villa translates as Villa of the Tiger and Leopard.[2]

Aw Boon Haw then created an entertainment park to teach and preserve Chinese values. The park's colorful collection of over 1,000 statues and 150 giant tableaux centered around Chinese folklore, legends, history, and Confucian ideology. Morality tales included classic battles between good and evil and tributes to Chinese cultural heroes such as the famous pugilist Wu Song, who tamed a ferocious tiger with his bare hands.[2]

We were guided by this old man, he lead us to the path less travel with lots of blessings.25 clusters of original statues and figurines replicate Chinese mythology characters like the Laughing Buddha and the Fu Lu Shou (Taoist deities).[1]
Described by various visitors as "fascinating, delightful, bizarre and entertaining", Haw Par Villa is like no other place in the world. Literal and leaving nothing to the imagination, the statues and sets immortalise moral values and Chinese cultural heritage for generations to come.[1]I am so sad that everyhting is so run down, I no longer feel the happiness that I got during my 1st visit. This Signature Pond in the picture has even dried up! I dare not approach some areas as the run down statues are so scary (to me). After the major renovation, the compound is now smaller & many interesting stuffs have gone too... I remember vividly that my granduncle & grandaunt brought my brother & I + cousins to take a boat ride into the dragon mouth -- the Ten Courts of Hell, featuring the ten steps of judgement before reincarnation. After the renovation, the 'river' & dragon is gone :(
I would like to highlight some important points to my beloved students. The punishment for:

  1. cheating is thrown into a field of knives
  2. misuse of books is body sawn into two
  3. cheating during examination is intestines & organs pulled out
  4. disrespect to eldest is heart cut out
  5. disobedience is grounded by a large stone

As a conclusion, please obey your Ms. Kong, return her love with good performance in both academically & behaviourally. Hehe...

References:

1http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/home/what_to_see/themed___other_attractions/haw_par_villa.html

2http://www.singaporemirror.com/co_hawparvilla.htm

*Many people have forgotten about this wonderful sighseeing place in Singapore which used to visit by tonnes of local & oversea visitors. I truely wish somebody can do something & it won't be demolished.

For more detail story & nice pictures, please read this entry:

http://timesofmylife.wordpress.com/2007/07/13/haw-par-villa-re-revisit/

7 comments:

nellojnkeis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Little Rascal said...

Wow... I never know there is this place. Would want to see it when I'm in Singapore :D

bambinakong said...

Hi Janell, so surprise to see her here...Yeah, I really wish to take the boat ride again...but I guess it will just be my dream...

Liz, I willing to accompany you..

nostalgia.jesskang said...

Not as happy as the previous visit? Sure le.... How old were you when you visited the park =.=|| sweat... and simple things are always enough to fascinate a kid.... now, you grow older liao le.... these things seem nothing for you liao...

the-ch3ryL-sensation said...

hey ms kong,
i promise to TRY to have good performance in both academically & behaviourally.

haha!!:D

its cheryl from 305 here, btw(:

the-ch3ryL-sensation said...

hey ms kong,
i promise to TRY to have good performance in both academically & behaviourally.

haha!!:D

its cheryl from 305 here, btw(:

-byrn- said...

jie throw that shirt away... u look fat >.<